Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Can Vinod Punamiya cycle from Delhi to Mumbai in 30 hours?








It may be hard to believe, but Mumbai-based Vinod Punamiya claims he can cover the 1485-km distance from Delhi to Mumbai on his cycle in JUST 30 HOURS!

Pedal-pusher: Vinod Punamiya on his bike in Mumbai last night. Pic/SAMEER MARKANDE

Three years ago, at the age of 50, Punamiya, who hails from Dombivli, shocked the nation and registered his name in the Limca Book of Records when he cycled from Pune to Dombivli (distance of 140 km) in just two hours, 14 minutes, 14 seconds ” 20 minutes faster than the Deccan Queen train. "Ive been cycling for the last 30 years. It's been my passion and I've always dreamt of doing something extra-ordinary to make my country proud," said Punamiya of his next endeavour.

The 53-year-old cycling enthusiast, who will begin his journey from India Gate in New Delhi on February 19 at 7 am, is confident of touching the Gateway of India in Mumbai by 1pm the next day.

"Once I start my race from Delhi at 7am, I'm confident of reaching Jaipur by 11 am (distance of 272 kms), Ahmedabad by 1 am (another 753 kms) and Surat (another 260 kms) by 7am. Once, I enter Maharashtra, I will face a number of ghats, besides the traffic in Mumbai that will slow me down. But, I'm confident of achieving my target," said Punamiya.

"I practice by riding daily for about 400-500 kms between Kolhapur and Satara. This has increased my stamina and confidence that I can ride 1485 kms non-stop," said Punamiya.

Punamiya has previously covered the distance between Mumbai and Delhi in four days when he rode in memory of the 26/11 victims two years ago.

"Back then, it was in memory of the martyrs, but this time it will be a different challenge. It will be a lot faster," assured Punamiya.

A Global Positioning System (GPS) device, fitted to Punamiya's cycle, will calculate the distance and keep track of his record-breaking journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment