Search This Blog

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Dravid to quit ODIs after England series

On the day that he was handed a shock recall to the one-day side, Rahul Dravid has said that the England series will be his final limited-overs assignment.

Dravid, 38, hasn't been a regular with the Indian one-day side late 2007, though he made a brief comeback during the 2009 Champions Trophy in South Africa. He admitted he hadn't expected a recall for the upcoming England series.

"Since I had not been picked for one-day cricket for the last two years, I was obviously a little surprised," he said after the warm-up match against Northamptonshire. "To be honest, because I had not been picked, I had not informed the selectors or the board of my desire to solely focus on Test cricket.

"At the end of this one-day series, I would like to announce my retirement from one-day and Twenty20 cricket and concentrate only on Test cricket. I am committed, as always to give my best to India in this one-day series and obviously the Test series that follows.

"Obviously, in the short term this is an excitement. Definitely, looking forward to this one-day series in the short term. But like I said in the long term. I think it's best for me to solely focus on Test cricket and play Test cricket."

Dravid is the seventh highest run-getter in ODIs, with 10,765 runs in 339 matches and was the top run-scorer in the 1999 World Cup. © ESPN EMEA Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment